Half Day – Cape Sounio
The tour will start at the arranged appointment and will lead us to the Temple of Poseidon. The tour is from the south part of Athens which leads us to view the entire sea coast. As we move along we are going to view Alimos Marine, which is one of the largest marine in Greece, next is Glyfada the center of south part for shopping, coffee and restaurant center. Our next stop is at Vouliagmenis area and we are going to see the natural lake which is famous for different body treatment. We move on Varkiza, Lagonissi, Anaviso and finally Cape of Sounion to see the Temple of Poseidon. Returning from Sounion we will be able to stop for lunch at a well-known village for Greek dishes and fish restaurants (Tour lasts approximately 6 hours).
Cape Sounion is noted as the site of ruins of an ancient Greek temple of Poseidon, the god of the sea in classical mythology. The remains are perched on the headland, surrounded on three sides by the sea. According to legend, Cape Sounion is the spot where Aegeus, king of Athens, leaped to his death off the cliff, thus giving his name to the Aegean Sea. The original, Archaic Period temple of Poseidon on the site, which was built of tufa, was probably destroyed in 480 BC by Persian troops during shahanshah Xerxes I’s invasion of Greece (the second Greco-Persian War). The later temple at Sounion, whose columns still stand today, was probably built in ca. 440 BC. This was during the ascendancy of Athenian statesman Pericles, who also rebuilt the Parthenon in Athens.The temple of Poseidon, at Cape Sounion, was a venue where mariners, and also entire cities or states, could propitiate Poseidon, by making animal sacrifice, or leaving gifts
- The itinerary is subject to change due to lack of time, demonstrations, strikes, or other issues that may arise.
- English speaking professional driver with basic knowledge of what you are going to visit.
- Mercedes-Benz vehicles equipped with A/C, WiFi, Child Seats, and cold waters.
- All taxes and VAT.
- In one Taxi can fit up to 4 people, and in one Minivan up to 8 people.
- Entrance fees to the temple
- After you confirm your booking you will get also a confirmation from us with full information of what you have booked.
- Please inform us via e-mail, at least one week before, for alterations or cancellations!
Meeting Point & Time
- The vehicle will pick you up at the meeting point. In the case of not being able to find the driver please contact the emergency number that appears on your voucher.
- Please follow the instructions indicated on your voucher.